Autodelete of old mails

Ramprasad A Padmanabhan ramprasad at netcore.co.in
Thu Jan 8 08:56:09 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 17:26, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Ramprasad A Padmanabhan wrote:
> > I am trying ipurge out.
> > Seems a good idea, but does not work even if one mailbox is corrupt.
>
> A better question might be why you have corrupt mailboxes. I don't run a
> particularly large server, but I haven't run into mailbox corruption
> that hasn't been my fault (manually deleting a message when first
> learning about Cyrus). It seems odd for mailbox corruption to be a
> sufficiently common thing on your server that it makes a scheduled
> ipurge run impractical.
>
> Any idea what is causing the corruption?
>
> Craig Ringer

A corrupt mailbox , usually means  a messy administration I agree.
But what happens if you get corrupt mailboxes because in the dead of the
night the partition run out of disk space
or because there is some one accessing using pop over a very slow link
which  breaks off every now and then

Now the point is I have corrupt mailboxes , users arent complaining
because they are not using ( mostly )
Now what do I do ?
I am thinking of running ipurge as a pipe process in a perl script and
catch the output. If it has quit anywhere in the middle reconstruct the
mailbox  and start again
Now the point is How do I tell ipurge to start from where I left out.

Running a different ipurge for every user is ruled out , that is too
slow for my box.

I am thinking of a hack in the ipurge source with another commandline
option
something like
ipurge -f -d 30  --skipuntil 'user/someuser'

Is that feasible

Thanks
Ram

NETCORE SOLUTIONS *** Ph: +91 22 5662 8000 Fax: +91 22 5662 8134

MailServ and FlexiMail: Messaging Solutions: http://netcore.co.in

Pragatee: Integrated Server-Software Suite: http://www.pragatee.com

Emergic Freedom: Server-centric Computing: http://www.emergic.com

BlogStreet: Blog Profiles and RSS Ecosystem: http://blogstreet.com