nntp fiddling

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Jan 16 10:17:28 EST 2004

Nils Vogels wrote:

> Ken Murchison wrote:
>
>> Nils Vogels wrote:
>>
>>> Muchos gracias ;-)
>>>
>>> I will try this ASAP! Could you tell me, where I can find the new
>>> fetchnews? Is it in CVS?
>>

>> Yes.
>>
>>> I also had a sucknews (but then in reverse) to grab the posts done on
>>> the Cyrus newsserver to be fed towards USENET, since my provider only
>>> allows me to use the POST command, and from what I recall, Cyrus uses
>>> IHAVE ? (Could be a little bit off here, not sure anymore).
>>

>> Yes, it uses IHAVE.  I can take a look at adding support for POST (the
>> commands are almost identical).  Does your provider also require you
>> to authenticate?
>>
> Sorry I bailed out there, got cought in this thing called IRL :)
>
> I've just installed 2.2.3 with new fetchnews, and am kinda stuck ;)
>
> I've created a new partition for news, and adapted the config to have
> the newsuser set etc, and while this was running smoothly using lmtp
> inject (via suck), I'm having some issues trying to get this to work
> using fetchnews.
>
> Fetchnews works fine, I can see articles flying around when tcpdumping
> while fetchnews is running, fetchnews.db is being updated and all, but
> for some reason, the articles do not show up in my new partition.
>
> I'm trying nl.test from my upstream, and this is my current setup:
>
> cyrus.conf:
> SERVICES {
>  # these are only necessary if receiving/exporting usenet via NNTP
>  nntp          cmd="nntpd"  listen="nntp" prefork=0
>  nntps         cmd="nntpd -s" listen="nntps" prefork=0
> }
>
> imapd.conf:
> partition-news: /disk/3/cyrus/news
> ###newsspool: /var/spool/news
> newsprefix: news
> newspostuser: usenet
> newspeer: news.myisp.nl
>

> localhost> info news.nl.test
> {news.nl.test}:
>  expire: 7
>  lastupdate: 16-Jan-2004 14:11:10 +0100
>  partition: news
>  size: 0
> localhost> lam news.nl.test
> anyone lrsp
>
> imhotep# telnet 0 119
> Trying 0.0.0.0...
> Connected to 0.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 200 post.is-root.com Cyrus NNTP v2.2.3 server ready, posting allowed
> groups
> 480 Authentication required
> authinfo user <snip>
> 381 Give AUTHINFO PASS command
> authinfo pass <snip>
> 281 User logged in

You can use nntptest to make the connection/authentication, instead of
telneting.

> groups
> 500 Unrecognized command
> list newsgroups
> 215 List of newsgroups follows:
> .

LIST NEWSGROUPS will only return data for those mailboxes that have the
/comment annotation set on them.  For a list of groups on the server,
use either LIST or LIST ACTIVE.

> group nl.test
> 211 0 1 0 nl.test
> article 1
> 423 No such article in this newsgroup
> article 0
> 423 No such article in this newsgroup
> quit
> 205 Connection closing
>
> Thanks for reading this far :)
>
> Iam trying to fetch news with:
>
> /usr/local/cyrus/bin/fetchnews -n -u user -p password -w nl.test
> news.myisp.nl
>
> The process works, updates the watermarks, and then exits with status 0,
> but unfortunately, no articles are being injected into Cyrus.
>
> Is there a very obvious step I am missing ? Where should I look for more
> hints ?

Can you get a dump of the NNTP protocol between fetchnews and your peer
and fetchnews and nntpd?  Go ahead and blank out the passwords, I don't
care to see them.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127