Slow response -logs

Jonathan Marsden Jonathan at XC.Org
Thu Jan 15 17:35:07 EST 2004

Troy,

On 15 Jan 2004, Troy McKinnon writes:

> I also notice that telneting to port 25 is VERY SLOW.
>
> Does this mean it is more likely a postfix issue vs cyrus etc?
>
> Anything else I can do to help narrow down and locate the bottleneck?

Delays of about a minute traditionally mean you have a DNS resolution
problem, possibly for localhost or for the server's 'real' hostname.

Can you do

  ping localhost

and

  ping `hostname`

at a shell prompt on your server and get rapid results?  If DNS is the
problem, you would see a big delay whle the system tries and fails to
do the DNS lookups of localhost and the host name.

As further confirmation, check that

  telnet 127.0.0.1 1

is quickly rejected, but

  telnet localhost 1

or

  telnet `hostname` 1

get delayed, and then rejected.  That would pretty much confirm it is
a DNS-related issue.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Marsden       	| Internet: jonathan at xc.org	| Making electronic
1252 Judson Street  	| Phone: +1 (909) 795-3877	| communications work