Logwatch script for Cyrus and resulting questions

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Jan 29 12:04:36 EST 2004

Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we're finally going live with our HA cluster based on RedHat AS 2.1. It
> took us almost two years to get the system stable, due mostly to
> software issues in Linux. Now I'm doing some final preparation and as
> part of that I'm creating a script for logwatch (see www.logwatch.org).
> My script is for logwatch 4.3.1, but I guess it'll work with other
> versions as well. I'll share the script once it's been in use for a few
> days.
>
> Does anybody else use logwatch with Cyrus? I'd be interested in what
> others do ...

Not currently, but I'd be interested in your script.

> Anyway, I've got a question as a result of the output:
>
>   POP:
>     Number of logins: 184
>        ... using LOGIN: 61
>        ... using NTLM: 3
>        ... using APOP: 16
>        ... using plaintext+TLS: 68
>        ... using CRAM-MD5: 14
>        ... using PLAIN: 22
>
>   IMAP:
>     Number of logins: 182
>        ... using CRAM-MD5+TLS: 31
>        ... using PLAIN+TLS: 5
>        ... using NTLM: 2
>        ... using plaintext+TLS: 31
>        ... using CRAM-MD5: 97
>        ... using plain+TLS: 3
>        ... using DIGEST-MD5: 13
>
> I think I know what the difference between PLAIN and plain is (the first
> is a proper SASL mechanism, the latter isn't), but what's plaintext and
> why is it the only mechanism that doesn't log "User logged in"?

plaintext is the built-in authentication command: LOGIN for IMAP,
USER/PASS for POP3 and NNTP.

I just updated CVS so that all successful authentications get logged in
a consistent manner (imapd, pop3d, nntpd).

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127