Cyrus + POP3 configuration tutorial/documentation

Emma Grant egra0627 at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 31 07:18:23 EST 2004

Thanks for the reply.

I was trying to be brief because I thought that I find the answer in any
docs that would appear.

Just to let you know. I am using Postfix + Cyrus + MySQL + SASL to use
Virtual Domains and Email Accounts.

The virtual setup with mysql seems to be working fine, because I can
send an email to the virtual user in my database and a virtual mailbox
gets created (using maildir).

But, getting the mail (pop 3) is a different story. I have gone through
a few different tutorials for cyrus/imap etc... and I have been able to
get the configuration understood - except for this.

I test this email two ways. 1) From Outlook and 2) telnet localhost
pop3. I get the same error message when testing: -ERR[AUTH] INVALID
LOGIN

My message log says:

Saslauthd: do_auth: auth failure [user=myemail at mydomain.com]
[service=pop] [realm=] [mech=pam] [reason=PAM auth error]
pop3: badlogin: plaintext myemail at mydomain.com SSL(-13): authentication
failure: checkpass failed

I am assuming the second error is because of the first.

I know the passwords that I am using are correct. I have one account
that the password is encrypted, the other where the password is not.
Testing both gives me the same error.

Here are my config files:

/etc/postfix/sasl/smtp.conf
pwcheck_method = saslauthd
mech = PLAIN LOGIN

/etc/sysconfig/sasl/authd
START = yes
MECH	=pam

/etc/pam.d/smtp, /etc/pam.d/imap, /etc/pam.d/pop
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required	/lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required	/lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required 	/lib/security/pam_mysql.so user=dbuser
passwd=dbpass host=localhost db=dbname table=users usercolumn=email
passwdcolumn=password crypt=1
auth       sufficient 	/lib/security/pam_mysql.so user=dbuser
passwd=dbpass host=localhost db=dbname table=users usercolumn=email
passwdcolumn=password crypt=1

Thanks in advance for any advice/help or documentation that anyone can
provide. Been on this for days now...

Emma