Need some suggestions and feedback on my setup(s)..

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Fri Feb 6 14:57:43 EST 2004

Hello everyone.

I wanted to post my setup here at my location, what my intentions are and
the direction I am heading.

Right now, im running FreeBSD 4.9, Cyrus-Imapd-2.2.3 and Cyrus-SASL-2.1.17.
Everything is working smoothly, including secure authentication as SSL. I
could not be any happier.

The MTA I am currently testing this with is Postfix, which I have also been
able to easily integrate with postfix and setup SMTP-AUTH as well.

However the one snag that I have run into is the ability to have the full
functionality of ACL's on mailboxes. A big part of what our company wants
to use is shared folders/bulletin boards that will allow users to post
messages to the mailbox as well as drag and drop emails and attachments
from within their client. Since the company is growing, there are going to
be different departments and each mailbox needs to have ACL's to ensure
only the necessary people can have access to these folders. I must also
factor in that we are going to be setting up Branch Offices in the future,
and these locations will need some sort of access to these shared folders
as well. A murder setup is going to be needed as well.

In a nutshell, ACL usage for me is essential.

However, the problem is that Postfix does not pass the auth credentials off
to LMTP. (Verified this by asking on the Postfix list..) The only MTA that
can do this is Sendmail which will work perfectly from what I understand
with ACL's.

The second option I have is to setup NNTP with the 2.2.3 release. Then
setup newsgroups for my departments and then setup the ACL's for the people
as needed.
I have tested this method and it works, but I am not sure if it is the
method I should implement, especially when I think of the big picture. I
need something that is going to work all the time and not have to worry about.

So, with that in mind, I wanted to get some opinions from others to see
what is suggested.

I appreciate it.

Jason

---