Is smmapd required for local recipient verification?

Nels Lindquist nlindq at maei.ca
Tue Feb 10 14:38:22 EST 2004

Hi there.

I'm trying to enable recipient verification at the MTA (Sendmail
8.12.11) level so I can reject mail (mostly viruses) addressed to
nonexistent recipients.  I'm using Cyrus IMAP v2.0.17 on my primary
mail store, which is on the same box as the MTA.

Currently, sendmail accepts the message even if there is no cyrus
mailbox defined for the recipient, and then attempts delivery via
LMTP.  Since the recipient doesn't exist, the delivery fails and
Sendmail generates a bounce message which is queued and a copy
generated for the postmaster.

Is there some way to configure the MTA/LMTP interaction to check for
local recipients during the SMTP conversation instead?  My Google
searching produced the possibility of adding 'w' to
CYRUSV2_MAILER_FLAGS before building sendmail.cf, and when I tried it
on my test installation (Cyrus IMAPD v2.1.16) it seemed to work just
fine.  However, when I enabled this flag for v2.0.17, *all* local
mail was rejected whether the cyrus account existed or not.

Am I on the right track?  Can I even do what I want to do with
v2.0.17, or is it necessary to upgrade to v2.1 or even 2.2 for smmapd
support?

Thanks for any assistance!

----
Nels Lindquist <*>