IMSP and Digest-MD5

William K. Hardeman wont-i at wkh.org
Tue Feb 17 10:52:30 EST 2004

Howdy Cyrus,

Thanks for the reply.

I do have DIGEST-MD5 working with IMAP. Actually, in the 3 years I've been
using both Cyrus IMAP and Cyrus IMSP, I've always been able to use
DIGEST-MD5 on the IMAP connections and never on the IMSP connections.

IMAP connection with DIGEST-MD5 from the logs:
Feb 17 10:49:26 mail imap[17487]: login: dilbert.wkh.org [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
wont-i at wkh.org DIGEST-MD5 User logged in

The error I'm seeing in messages when I try using DIGEST-MD5 is:

Feb 17 10:44:21 mail imsp[17643]: bad digest-uri: doesn't match service
Feb 17 10:44:21 mail imsp[17643]: badlogin: dilbert.wkh.org - digest-md5
authentication failure

I'm glad to hear that there is TLS code out there. I'm looking forward to
being able to use it.

Thanks for the help,
Will

--On Tuesday, 17 February, 2004 10:43 -0500 Cyrus Daboo
<daboo at cyrusoft.com> wrote:

> Hi William,
>
> --On Tuesday, February 17, 2004 3:30 AM -0500 "William K. Hardeman"
> <wont-i at wkh.org> wrote:
>
>| My apologies for the cross-post, but I'm hoping to cover all bases with
>| my question. :-)
>|
>| I've just upgraded my IMSP server to the lastest Cyrus 1.7b, as
>| recommended by CMU. I had hoped that, with that upgrade, I would finally
>| be able to use Digest-MD5 authentication to the IMSP server. However,
>| it's still not working in either the 3.1 releases or the 2.2 releases of
>| Mulberry. Cram-MD5 and Plain/Login continue to work fine, though.
>|
>| Does anyone know if my inability to use Digest-MD5 is a problem with
>| Mulberry, or is a problem with Cyrus IMSP? Are there any known fixes?
>
> Do you have DIGEST working with IMAP? What error do you get when you try
> it?
>
>| Finally, I thought I saw mentioned somewhere awhile back that work was
>| ongoing to implement SSL/TLS capabilities into the IMSP server. Can
>| anyone comment on how well that might be progressing?
>
> Sorry, I have been tardy wrt getting out TLS patches into the CMU code. I
> will do some work on that over the next couple of days.
>
> --
> Cyrus Daboo

William K. Hardeman
wont-i at wkh.org
http://www.wkh.org

discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
                -- Isaac Asimov

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then
do it.
--Robert A. Heinlein