Using mailbox referrals

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Feb 25 10:22:54 EST 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Jean-Christophe Delaye wrote:

> I've installed cyrus-imapd 2.2.3 and cyrus-sasl 2.1.17  and everything
> works fine.
>
> I'm just wondered how can I use the MAILBOX-REFERRALS capabilities of
> the imap server.
> I'm looking for a mechanism of mailbox location that would allow to
> dispatch some mailboxes within user space (specially for SPAM and/or
> Archives purposes) amongst different imap servers.

Look at the Murder functionality, which may do some of what you want.
Note that it is generally poor to have some of a user's mailboxes on one
server and some on another (sieve & quotas won't work as you likely expect
in this case).

> I think the Cyrus IMAP is designed to implement the RFC2193.
> Is it possible to create such mailbox referrals between servers or is it
> a client feature ?

It is definately possible -- the problem is that almost no clients
implement MAILBOX-REFERRALS, so you need a proxy to sit in front of the
IMAP servers to support those clients that do not.  Hense, the design of
the Aggregator.

> I search the archive for mailbox referrals and found no useful
> information, except with the
> Cyrus Murder functionnality (xfermailbox and renamemailbox). Is murder
> the right way for using
> the mailbox-referral feature ?

On the nose.

-Rob