best filesystem for imap server

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Thu Dec 2 15:19:58 EST 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, John Madden wrote:

> Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:53:07 -0500 (EST)
> From: John Madden <jmadden at ivytech.edu>
> To: julesa at pcf.com
> Cc: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
> Subject: Re: best filesystem for imap server
>
>> I think they use capacitors that will hold enough charge to allow
>> flushing the buffers to disk when there's a power loss.
>
> And another set of caps to keep the spindles spinning so that data can be
> written?  I'm not yet willing to buy the bridge you're selling. :)

10 or so years ago when the drives had significantly more rotating mass
and significantly lower data density there were (high-end SCSI) drives
that could use their rotational energy to power their electronics to write
the data and adjust the dataclock as the spindle slowed, but I don't think
any drive does this anymore.

David Lang

  -- C.A.R. Hoare