setting up a pop and imap server

Alexander Dalloz ad at uni-x.org
Thu Dec 2 22:25:33 EST 2004

Am Fr, den 03.12.2004 schrieb Hilkiah Lavinier um 4:03:

> I work for an ISP and we are currently running RH7.2 with imap-2000c
> and sendmail 8.11.xx.  We are thinking of upgrading to a fedora release
> (2 or 3).  By default, fedora 3 does not ship with the washington imap
> server, instead it comes with cyrus-imapd.  The following pretty much
> sums up our needs:

Right, FC2 and FC3 come with Cyrus-IMAPd packaged (though the default
IMAP server is dovecot). I prefer Cyrus-IMAPd because of it's
capabilities.

> 1) we need our users to be able to login and set their own passwords
> (currently we use usermin for this)

How to realize this depends on the auth method you use. If staying with
system users which the uw-imapd uses, you can keep your usermin tool.
But Cyrus-IMAPd is able to run in sealed mode too as it uses SASL.

> 2) we need both pop and imap services

Of course no problem.

> 3) we intend to use smtp auth in the not too distant future

No topic for the IMAP/POP3 side.

> 4) we would like to implement some sort of quota system where sendmail
> (or whatever MTA) will not accept more mail once a user's mailbox is filled

Cyrus-IMAPd supports mailbox quota by his own.

> Would it be recommended to go through the hassles of configuring
> cyrus-imapd?  If so, what the some of the advantages over some of the
> less complicated pop3/imap servers.

It is not that difficult to set Cyrus-IMAPd up. Of course you will have
to read the documentation. Do you know any other IMAP/POP3 server which
handles mailbox quota by his own and does not rely on filesystem quota?

> HL

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 04:17:27 up 12 days, 23:04, load average: 0.46, 0.75, 0.57