Migrating Cyrus to new server AND new mailboxes

Nikola Milutinovic Nikola.Milutinovic at ev.co.yu
Sun Dec 19 09:32:16 EST 2004

Hi all.

I have a working Cyrus IMAP 2.1.13. I would like to migrate to a new
server (new machine), running Cyrus IMAP 2.2.10. Additional trouble is I
would like to move existing users to new mailboxes/usernames. For
instance, I would like to do this:

Old.ev.co.yu( IMAP 2.1.13 ): "user.nikola"
New.ev.co.yu( IMAP 2.2.10): "user.milutinovicn"

I imagine that I can create a new mailbox, stop both servers, copy all
mail files and folders from Old to New and run "reconstruct". But it
that a good thing to do?

Or perhaps, stop both MTAs, connect from a client ot both mailboxes and
do a move from the client. It is slower, but is regular.

My concern is that mailbox files "cyrus.*" cannot be transfered safely,
since they refer to old mailbox name.

Or maybe copy just some of them, or all of them...

Nix.