Software Quality rant (was Re: Large email account)

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Tue Dec 21 13:18:37 EST 2004

--On Tuesday, December 21, 2004 08:53 -0200 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
<hmh at debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Simon Matter wrote:
>> The nice thing about Thunderbird is that it works fine. Same goes for
>> recent kmail versions. Mulberry and PINE may do it better, but they don't
>> look better.
>
> We are talking Unix here (industrial strenght tools, focus on doing things
> right, etc) or are we talking "Microsoft-based Professional Software" here
> (the "MAIL FROM: a at b.c" crowd)?
>
> Not that Thunderbird is that bad.  It is *not*.  But it really saddens me
> to see more and more developers get caught on the "pretty is more
> important than functionality" mentality.  This has nothing to do with
> Thunderbird.

And I have to agree with Henrique here, and not just because he keeps Cyrus
backported for my older Woody installs :)

Working at a web host we deal with all of the major PHP packages.  I won't
name any names, but most of them are pretty poorly written.  Riddled with
bugs and security holes.  Because they're written to do one thing, look
pretty.  Security is bolted on as an afterthought.