authentication using kerberos

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Wed Dec 22 09:37:43 EST 2004

Rob Siemborski wrote:
> Do you have a host/(hostname) key in the database?

Hm, no I don't.  Does this mean that I also need to have account for
host (that runs IMAP server) in Active Directory, or the account for
IMAP service that runs on the server, or both?

> That said, you're not really "Authenticating using kerberos" here,
> you're just doing password verification, which in many ways defeats the
> point.

Well, password verification is really all I need.  I really don't need
any other functionality provided by kerberos.  If user provided correct
password (over TLS) to IMAPD, I want to let him in.  I just want to use
Active Directory as simple and convinient password store that returns
true or false.  I don't really need full kerberos system.  I'm not after
single sign-on or anything fancy.  I'm attempting to use kerberos only
because it is the way AD works, and I'm trying to keep it as simple as
possible.  All that I really need is the stuff that kinit does.  It
connects to AD, password is verified, I get true or false for password,
and all the other stuff that kinit does after the password is verified
is not of interest to me.

Can Cyrus IMAPD do that?  Or if not, can saslauthd do it?

P.S.
Sorry for (first) direct reply, I've hit reply instead of reply-all and
noticed it when it was already too late :-(