Virtual Domains issues

Chris Bowlby excalibur at accesswave.ca
Tue Dec 28 11:25:34 EST 2004

Hi All,

  For the last few day's I've been working on setting up a local email
server and have wanted to use the virtual domains feature as I know I'll be
hosting many more domains on my server. I have installed Cyrus-Imap 2.2.10
and have gone through the steps to configure the system. My imap.conf file
looks like:

admins: admin at test.org
duplicatesuppression: 1
hashimapspool: yes
lmtpsocket: /var/spool/imap/socket/lmtp
quotawarn: 90
configdirectory: /var/spool/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/mail
sievedir: /var/spool/sieve
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
virtdomains: on
defaultdomain: test.org

And I can connect to the server via cyradm

  cyradm -u admin at test.org localhost
  localhost>

  But when I attempt to create a new email account:

  localhost> create user.admin at test.org

I get:

localhost> lm
INBOX (\HasNoChildren)

I was expecting to see: user.admin at dreadnet.org (\HasNoChildren)

  Also, when I attempt to create another account I get:

localhost> create user.test at test.org
createmailbox: Permission denied

At the file level, things look like:

test# cd /var/spool
test# ls -ld imap mail sieve
drwxr-x---  10 cyrus  cyrus  512 Dec 28 11:59 imap
drwxr-x---   4 cyrus  cyrus  512 Dec 28 10:53 mail
drwxr-x---   2 cyrus  mail   512 Dec 26 14:36 sieve

test# cd mail
test# ls -la
total 8
drwxr-x---   4 cyrus  cyrus  512 Dec 28 10:53 .
drwxr-xr-x  14 root   wheel  512 Dec 26 14:36 ..
drwx------   3 cyrus  cyrus  512 Dec 28 10:53 a
drwxr-xr-x   2 cyrus  cyrus  512 Dec 26 23:34 stage.

  Having had some experience with the imap system before I was expecting to
see a folder called "domains" in the mail folder, not "a". I know I've
missed something small, and that once that is fixed up things will work,
does anyone have any ideas of what might be occurring?

As a side note, I used to have to:

  su - cyrus
mkimap -d test.org

but when I do that now I get a:

./mkimap -d test.org
can't open -d at (eval 1) line 15, <DATA> chunk 53.

So something has changed for when I initialize an imap folder, but the
documentation does not reference any of those changes anywhere...