squatter indexes

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 1 04:14:52 EDT 2003

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Andrew Morgan wrote:

> Hmmm, the way you phrase that makes me believe that you don't normally
> expect ALL mailboxes to be indexed...  I was sort of expecting that I
> should be indexing all mailboxes on the system.

That's what I do (squatter -s overnight).

It does take quite a long time to complete, and it eats CPU even on my
fast but typically rather bored Pentium 4 Xeons.

> Part of my reasoning for this was just to get rid of the annoying:
>
> SQUAT failed to open index file
>
> messages in the syslogs.  :)

Log at info rather than debug level: that way you get much less noise. At
least until you decide to hack the code so that the LMTP daemon logs
deliver and redirect accounts plus vacation messages...

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.