sieve parse errors

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Wed Sep 3 17:02:33 EDT 2003

I'm getting errors like the following in syslog:

lmtpd[31620]: sieve parse error for scottwe: line 1: parse error,
unexpected STRING

I'm running Cyrus-imap v2.1.15 and using .sieve files in user's home
directories.  This problem seems to be happening intermittently for a wide
variety of users with various kinds of .sieve files.  This particular
user's .sieve file contains just one line:

redirect "scottwe at osubeavers.com";

I have a more complicated .sieve file and I get an error on line 1 which
is:

require [ "fileinto" ];

Has anyone seen this before?  Is there any more information you need to
know?  This is a production service, but I can attempt to do some
debugging.

Andy Morgan
Central Computing
Oregon State University