How to hand over mails from postfix to cyrus

Oliver Demetz - Hardware-XPress.de odemetz at hwxp.de
Sun Sep 14 23:45:39 EDT 2003

info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu wrote:
> If you read LMTP_README I think the bottom line is: don't use the pipe
> transport with Cyrus; it isn't the best option available.

> HTH,
> Jo

OK, Now, I'm on LMTP.
Here my config (as described in LMTP_README):

main.cf:
        mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp

cyrus.conf:
        lmtpunix          cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp"
        prefork=1

I added user postfix to Group mail (secondary)
#ls -l /var/imap/socket
    total 0
    -rw-------    1 cyrus    mail            0 Sep 11 14:23 imap.lock
    srwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            0 Sep 13 16:05 lmtp
    -rw-------    1 cyrus    mail            0 Sep 13 14:58 lmtpunix.lock
    -rw-------    1 cyrus    mail            0 Sep 13 01:45 pop3.lock
As you see, lmtp is accessible by everyone!

Still, in my virtual-table foo at bar.de is rewritten to bar-de.foo, and
this mailbox exists! It will be accessed and read by sasl-user
'bar-foo' so 'lam bar-de.foo' in cyradm just gives out 'lrswipcd' for
bar-foo.

In mail.log I get the following entry:
Sep 15 05:22:20 cruelgrinch postfix/lmtp[2189]: 43CD435A57A: \
to=<bar-de.foo at bar.de>, orig_to=<foo at bar.de>, relay=/var/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/imap/socket/lmtp], \
delay=0, status=bounced (host /var/imap/socket/lmtp[/var/imap/socket/lmtp] said: 550-Mailbox unknown.  \
Either there is no mailbox associated with this 550-name or you do not have authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1 \
User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command))

What went wrong now???

Big Thanks to you in advance!