Cyrus to USENET gateway

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Sep 24 20:23:00 EDT 2003

Nils Vogels wrote:
> Ken Murchison wrote:
>
>> Florian Hars wrote:

>>> Things aren't what they used to be. Typical providers will offer
>>> their clients NNRP access with NEWNEWS disabled (if they offer news
>>> at all), there is no talk of "feeding".
>>>
>>> Trying to get suck <url:ttp://home.comcast.net/~bobyetman/index.html>
>>> to cooperate with cyrus would probably be easier that reimplementing
>>> suck within cyrus.
>>

>> At first glance, I think suck will work just fine.  You'll have to
>> create the sucknewsrc file manually, since Cyrus doesn't use the
>> typical files used by news servers (active, etc).
>

> I've got suck working. I'm currently filling my news partition using:
>
> suck news.provider.goes.here -a -A -bp -c -hl localhost -dd . -dm . -dt
> . -p .provider -i 0, which will probably end up as a Cyrus event.
>
> However, lmtp2nntp is now giving me authentication quirks, when trying
> to email-reply on a message sent to the box.
>
> Postfix is taking the message just find, and handing it over to
> lmtp2nntp, which errors out on the authentication prompt, coming from
> the Cyrus nntpd.
>
>  <usenet+nl.test at my.host.com>. 554-5.4.2 destination#0 localhost
>    returned NNTP: cannot deliver message 554 5.4.2 destination#0 localhost
>    lastresp "480 Authentication required" (in reply to end of DATA command
>
> Now, I see two possible solutions:
>
> 1) Tell Cyrus NNTPD not to force authentication for localhost

allowanonymouslogin: yes

Not recommended unless you already have a need/use for anonymous.

> 2) Tell lmtp2nntp to authenticate to Cyrus.

Not an option AFAIK.

2a) Tell lmtp2nntp to use its "feed" mode, per the note in
doc/install-netnews.html in the Cyrus docs.

This is what I recommend and what I use myself.  Since I don't use
Postfix, I can't tell you exactly how to confifure it, but for Sendmail,
its as simple as setting a mailer option.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127