X-Status flag, reconstruct and a suggestion

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Sat Oct 4 12:32:27 EDT 2003

On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Andrew Morgan wrote:

> Where are the status flags currently stored in Cyrus?  The cyrus.index
> file?  The cyrus.cache file?  I know the seen information is stored in a
> separate file outside the mailbox directory.

System Flags other than \Seen (and \Recent, which is only a pseudo-flag)
are stored in the cyrus.index file.  The names of user flags are stored in
the cyrus.header file.

> In what cases would you lose the status flags of a message?

You'd lose them in the following situations

 * If you decided to delete the cyrus.index file
 * Atypical filesystem corruption (that is, data that was already synced
   on the disk becomes corrupted)
 * A bug in cyrus's index file writing routines (let's fix Cyrus then)

Cyrus goes to great lengths to do the "right thing" in the event of a
system crash at any given point, so at most you lose the most recent
action, but not any actions before it.

-Rob