problem with mailbox format

Jon Johnson somedude262 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 17:22:42 EDT 2003

Oh yup, when I run "imtest -m login -p imap localhost"

I get this:
S: 421-4.3.0 usage: deliver [-C <alt_config> ] [-m
mailbox] [-a auth] [-r return_path] [-l] [-D]
S: 421 4.3.0 v2.1.15
failure: prot layer failure

Oh shoot, I should explain: I have switched back to
the proper /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver program now in the
xinetd config, and that is the message I get now. When
I had it to the suspected non-cyrus imap, it did
indeed give me a message mentioning IMAP4rev1 so I
guess that's the problem.

So essentially, I now know that my problem isn't that
the mailboxes are in weird formats, the problem is
that I can't get cyrus up and running because of the
"broken pipe" / "prot layer failure" stuff.

Following advice in an old mailing list message I just
found, I shut down xinetd, ran "/usr/cyrus/bin/master
&" and while I do see it in the "ps aux" results, when
I run imtest I get "connect: Connection refused
failure: Network initialization" and likewise, when I
try "telnet localhost 143" I get a connection refused
message. So that's confusing, any ideas?

jon