Disable leave a copy in cyrus pop

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Oct 12 01:27:22 EDT 2003

> Now, for those of you out there who say
> just don't run the POP server, I wish. Unfortunenately back in the
> day when we only ran POP part of the login procedure was to check and
> see how many new messages were waiting and tell the user. If we don't
> report that check, even for the IMAP users where the data is not how
> many new messages, but how many are in their inbox, we get flooded with
> calls saying its broke.

What about moving the pop server to a high port, and configuring your
mailbox status app to use the high port? The server will appear not to
support pop3, but still be able to report your mailcheck info. This
depends, of course, on what client you use for the status check.

>> Seeing how pop works I assume that it is quiet difficult to disable
>> "leave a copy", Is there a way I can atleast find out how many users
>> have kept "leave a copy" on

It might be possible to check the mail spools for mailboxes with
messages that have been downloaded but not deleted. I don't know about
the cyrus pop3 server and how it stores info on seen/unseen messages,
but it must do it somehow, and you must be able to get at that info.

Alternately, just look for over-quota mailboxes.

Craig Ringer