Cyrus 2.2?

Christian Schulte cs at schulte.it
Fri May 9 15:49:01 EDT 2003

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:

> Read RFC 2047. Some headers can be encoded to have 8bit data (encoded as 7
>
>bit).  Headers that cannot be encoded should be mangled, or the message
>rejected.
>
>IMHO the functionality should be like this:

Just to see if I understand everything right:

>[We detect a header has 8bit data]

That is, it contains ASCII-Characters > 127 ? So some client or whatever
introduced wrong header data because  there can only be headers
containing 7-bit characters and 8-bit data can only be contained encoded
as per RFC2047 in 7 bit representation ?

>  IF header-can-be-RFC2047-encoded

We assume the character > 127 is in the configured default charset which
could be taken from LC_ environment and try to convert the 8 bit data to
a rfc2047 7bit representation leading to an incorrect converted header
if the default character set is not the correct one ? How will you test
against not converting to a wrong representation ?

> AND
>     default header encoding charset is set
>
>THEN reencode it

so that the identified 8-bit data gets translated as per rfc2047 to its
7-bit representation ?

>  ELSE
>     mangle it to X or reject message, as usual.

So we cannot mangle or reject messages any more which contain 8bit
header data not in the configured charset because we will convert them
to 7bit using another (maybe completely wrong) charset ?  I'll have to
read other rfcs than rfc2047 to understand it completely, I think!

--Christian