Replacing WINDOWS and NOVELL service with CYRUS

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Wed May 14 10:22:00 EDT 2003

Rob Siemborski wrote:

>I know a few years ago it was pretty common for people with on-demand
>connections to have their ISP spool mail for their domain, then when they
>connected they would issue an ETRN command to the ISP's server to initiate
>spooling.  I don't know how common this is any more, but it does make
>sense for a large organization with an on-demand connection to run a local
>MTA and IMAP server, and still have their ISP spool.

Sure, although I am not sure how many large organizations would use an
on-demand connection rather than dedicated.  Perhaps outside the US such
connections are more common.  The companies I have worked with with
on-demand connections still ran their own mail server, but had the ISP
be a mail relay.  When the connection came up, it would initiate a queue
run on the mail relay to get the mail delivered to their mail server.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931