delivering to bb folders

Nikos Voutsinas nvoutsin at noc.uoa.gr
Thu Mar 27 08:43:17 EST 2003

  >>>You might have to add -D_FFR_AUTH_PASSING=1 to your site.config.m4,
>

> nv> You realise that this feature of sendmail (was already available in
> nv> early releases of 8.12) combined with an MSA server and cyrus ACLs
> nv> can really boost cyrus functionality. (The "anyone p", mentioned in
> nv> cyrus documentation, has been always inaccurate, underestimating
> nv> cyrus capabilities).
>
> Alas, not all MTAs are capable of passing SMTP-AUTH onto the LMTP
> session, Postfix being at least one that I know of.  In fact, I am
> skeptical that this -AUTH communication will ever be incorporated
> into Postfix without some sort of RFC to back it up.  (Unless I'm
> mistaken, this continuity of -AUTH credentials isn't covered too
> well, but please correct me if I'm wrong.)

This is not a cyrus topic....

 From RFC 2554:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2554.txt

        The optional AUTH parameter to the MAIL FROM command allows
        cooperating agents in a trusted environment to communicate the
        authentication of individual messages.

        If the server trusts the authenticated identity of the client to
        assert that the message was originally submitted by the supplied
        addr-spec, then the server SHOULD supply the same addr-spec in an
        AUTH parameter when relaying the message to any server which
        supports the AUTH extension.

BTW LMTPd in cyrus is RFC 2554 compliant.

An alternative solution for sendmail is to authenticate as lmtp_admin
and authorized as auth_author, but this will require another patch.....

The only problem with -D_FFR_AUTH_PASSING is that it sets the
authorization_id = authentication_id

but this is not a cyrus topic ....