Signaled to death by 7?

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Mon Mar 24 16:19:24 EST 2003

I have a user that can't access her mail right now. She has about 150
subfolders of her INBOX (none nested more than 3 levels deep), and when
she tries to access the INBOX she logs in successfully but Cyrus
disconnects, and I get a message in the log that reads "master[898]:
process 4819 exited, signaled to death by 7".

If I telnet to port 143 and log in to her account, everything works OK
until I run the following command (which is the first thing Mozilla does
when one connects with it):

1 LSUB "" "*"

It lists most of her mailboxes and then the process dies with a signal 7.

Any idea what might cause that, or what I can try that might fix the
problem, besides deleting some of her mailboxes (not an option)? I ran
"reconstruct -r user.userid" and restarted master, but that didn't help...

I am using Cyrus-imapd 2.1.2 on RedHat 7.2. I have version 2.1.12
installed on a new server and am almost ready to migrate all the users
to the new box, but for right now I'm stuck with 2.1.2. I hope version
2.1.12 will allow a user to have over 150 mailboxes without dying... not
that there are many users who legitimately need 150 mailboxes...

Any suggestions are appreciated.