Cyrus debugging

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Wed Mar 26 10:14:47 EST 2003

Oliver Pitzeier wrote:

>Sorry, but I believe there are enough interessting parts in imapd and also in
>some lib/* file that could be logged for debugging reasons...

Complaints about the code quality of Cyrus coming from someone who tries
to pass an int where a char* is expected, whose patch results in
returning random garbage from the comparison function, and who can't
produce a stack backtrace from the problem seems a bit out of place.

The purpose of the syslog logging is not to output every possible thing
you might want to look at while debugging a code problem, but rather to
output helpful information at various levels on a running production
system to report that there is a problem or to trace how something is
being handled (at the debug levels).  When I want to debug an actual
problem such as the core dump you refer to, I run the program under a
debugger or at least investigate the core dump with a debugger.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931