Questions about backup files in /var/imap/db

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Tue Jun 17 10:20:07 EDT 2003

Daniel Qian wrote:

>It confused me by putting all databases using BDB under a imap directory.

Read the documentation at sleepycat -- the logs are per BDB
environment.  In this case, it protects only the various BDB files used
by Cyrus.

>Anyway I am more concerned about a proper way to backup all my mailbox
>messages. It seems to me that I can backup the content under these
>directories:
>/var/imap ; where my mailboxes.db resides
>/var/spool/imap/user ; suppose I only care about the messages already in user
>mailboxes
>
>So even on a newly installed empty system resulted from a system crash I
>would still be able to recover everything in mailboxes simply by copying back
>these backup files to where they are before the crash and run a reconstruct.
>Correct me if I am missing anything.

Correct, although you might care about the BDB logs if the mailboxes.db
was corrupted due to the crash.  Personally I like dumping the mailbox
list to a text file just before the backup as a belt-and-suspenders
safety net.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931