Mailbox namespace + LMTP question

Lars Peterson lars at itech-mke.com
Wed Jun 4 17:42:31 EDT 2003

I'm running cyrus-imapd 2.1.13 w/cyrus-sasl 2.1.13 on a RedHat 9.0 system. My
goal is have my mailer hand off a message to deliver with the recepient mailbox
in an e-mail address format: <user at example.localdomain>.

I'm not sure if I've violoated the mailbox namespace by trying to use names
containing the "@" character...deliver refuses to deliver any messages to
mailboxes I've created with this character in their name. I get the "Mailbox
does not exist" error message whenever I try.

I am able to deliver messages using deliver when I give it a recepient without
the "@" character.

If the "@" character violates the mailbox namespace, then why does cyradm let me
create mailboxes that contain it? Reconstruct, ctl_mbxolist, and the other
utilites / commands seem to be okay with it as well.

useful lines in /etc/imapd.conf are:
hashimapspool: true
unixhierarchysep: yes

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this matter.

Regards,

Lars Peterson
lars at itech-mke.com