Cyrus Backup Strategy

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Fri Jun 13 14:29:13 EDT 2003

pnelson wrote:

>My last thing to do prior to converting to production is a backup
>strategy.  I have been doing this with tar something like:
>
>tar -C /var/lib    -czf lib-<date>.tar.gz    imap
>tar -C /var/spool  -czf spool-<date>.tar.gz  imap
>tar -cf cyrus-<date>.tar
>
>This is producing a pretty big file(s):
>
> lib-<date>.tar.gz    ->   2.2M
> spool-<date>.tar.gz  ->  11.0M
>
>and ultimately
>
> cyrus-<date>.tar     ->  13.5M
>
>and I was thinking maybe there is a better way that someone else has
>come up with.  Anyone doing backups a different way?

Are you then dumping these files to tape?  Otherwise, just having
another copy on disk doesn't protect against many potential causes of
data loss.

We just backup the mail files normally with Veritas Netbackup (be sure
to disable true image restore with the millions of files), with the only
custom bit being to dump a copy of the mailbox list to a text file
before the backups run (this is a precaution since we are backing up
structured database files without synchronization with the program
writing them, so there is no guarantee the resulting backup is useful).
Our full backup for all Cyrus files is 98G and 4.2M files, taking 5-8
hours depending on other data hitting the tape drives.  Daily
incremental backups average 1-3G and 10-30k files.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931