Newbie Cyrus Configuration

Christian Schulte cs at schulte.it
Sat Jul 26 15:43:10 EDT 2003

Am Samstag, 26. Juli 2003 21:16 schrieb Norris Ward:
> Hi all,
>             I am new to cyrus imap but I can navigate my way around RedHat
> 7.3 fairly well.  I want to reconfigure my email server away from
> imap-2001. Where does cyrus-imap store it’s config files?

/etc/imapd.conf and /etc/cyrus.conf. This may differ in the distributions.
man imapd.conf and man cyrus.conf should work.

>can  cyrus read the pam_db of my system to authenticate users that already
>exist?

Yes. You can use saslauthd to do so. If you do not need your PAM accounts for
other services on the system I suggest migrating them completely to some SASL
store. Maybe re-creating them in some mysql-database und setting up SASL to
use auxprop mysql. Of course you will need plain-text passwords in your
existing PAM store to be able to do so...

>Also can cyrus be configured to store users mail files in their ~home dirs?

No! The concept of cyrus is to maintain its own mail-spool making it possible
to separate email-users from system-accounts. Sieve may lookup user scripts
in homedirs however...

--Christian