Migration Pointers?

Jared Watkins jwatkins at snowcrash.homeip.net
Mon Jan 13 15:46:53 EST 2003

Hello all...

I'm working on a migration from a single linux Iplanet (aka Netscape aka
Sun One) messaging server with Iplanet ldap backend for the user
database TO cyrus on linux with an active directory backend.  I have
about 2500 accounts on this sytem.. and from the mta logs I go through
about 100k messages and 5GB a day of mail volume usually with delivery
peaks of no more than 300 messages a minute.  Most users get their mail
via pop.. but we will encourage more of them to use imap along with
sieve.  We use a wide range of client apps..  all versions of outlook..
outlook express.. eudora.. netscape.. mozilla.. act.. and some others.
 (This has me most worried)   We also require the use of SSL/TLS for any
logins from outside our lan.

I'm planning to deliver mail via lmtp from our postfix relays... letting
them deal with virtual user/domain issues through ldap lookups...  we
have only one namespace with the first initial last name style of
usernames.

I'm already well on my way to finishing some web based cyrus/AD admin
tools.. and AD migration scripts...

Hardware wise... it will be dell on either a dual or quad xenon system..
with 2G of ram.. and either an 7 disk local raid array or a FC attached
SAN.

For the actual data migration... I have a simple plan.  Since most
people use pop..  I'll just cut mail delivery over to the new system..
and provide a page on our intranet for people to move their old mail
from one server to the other.. this way I already have their password
since they are logged into our intranet.

Has anyone done a migration like this before?  I'm looking for some
gotchas or left field sort of problems I may encounter...  I've  also
read some about performance and recovery best practices.. but I'm sure
there is more I could learn from all you fine people.  I hope to catch
most of the problems through my testing process.. but you never really
know what you are going to have problems with until it's in the wild of
production.

Thanks in advance...
Jared