UW to Cyrus transition

tosi at hi.is tosi at hi.is
Thu Jan 16 07:14:34 EST 2003

Hi people,

In the last week of december, I ported 10000 ( c.a. ) users from UW to
Cyrus.

As I had a REALLY hard time finding ANY help whatsoever ( scripts etc ), I
wrote some of my own.

I must say, they DO take time. I was running them on a Sun Fire 880 with
4x900MHz CPUs and 8GB RAM, and all files local. It takes around 8-10 hours
per 2500 users with around 20GB of data total.

So for 10000 users with around 80GB of data, up to 40 hours of conversion
time is a fairly close estimate.

I am sure that the scripts are not completely bug-free, but they did work
for me.

BEWARE: usernames with dots in them are NOT very well handled.

Share and enjoy.

-tosi