unix:lmtp vs /usr/cyrus/bin/deliver ?

Kendrick Vargas ken at hudat.com
Mon Jan 20 20:52:37 EST 2003

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Thomas Hannan wrote:

> Are there any performance/security issues using one method versus the
> other? Would one offer me greater flexibility in doing spam filtering (via
> regex and/or blacklists), antivirus checking, etc?
>
> We handle mail for 3 domains, and don't have anything too fancy set up for
> user authentication on the IMAP side...

The deliver method is gonna be more costly in terms of resources than
lmtp. Every time postfix is going to deliver the mail, it has to spawn a
shell which loads the binary every time, chews up memory, etc, just to
deliver mail. With lmtp, cyrus is allready spawning and listening on a
socket and all postfix has to do is open and write to the socket. Not to
mention that you'll have permissions and security issues with the deliver
method over the lmtp method.

If you're worried about filter flexibility, don't. Postfix is very
flexible in this sense. I use AMaViS with my server (several domains) and
I have it running as a local only smtp daemon, and I essentially redirect
email through it to provide the filtering. It's alot safer this way. I
have spam filtering defined as a postfix content filter but I could do it
as a smtp redirect as well.
			-peace

--
Let he who is without clue kiss my ass