Problem with cyrus and deleting a message with a virus.

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jan 21 16:16:06 EST 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Mark London wrote:

> Hi - We are running uvscan, and it will delete a cyrus message file that
> contains a virus.  Of course, cyrus doesn't know that the message is deleted,
> so it still shows that message, albeit it shows up as being from Unknown with
> (no subject).  The problem is that this message can't be deleted, no matter
> what method the user tries.  The only solution we have found is to replace the
> deleted message with a dummy file, and then it can be deleted.  We can't be
> the only one having this problem.  Do other people run virus scanning
> software, like uvscan, on their server?  Thanks. -   Mark

If you're messing around with the internal data stores of a program, and
then you get upset when the program doesn't work, I'd say that you've
created your own problem.

If you really want to do this, convince your virus scanner to delete the
files via the IMAP protocol instead of arbitrarly altering data structures
that it knows nothing about.

-Rob

(Note that you can also rebuild the mailbox with the reconstruct command,
but I don't recommend this as a general solution).