Problem after removing quota

Denis Roy droy at sussdorff-roy.com
Sat Jan 25 09:09:23 EST 2003

I frequently run into problems when dealing with quotas. All in all, I got
the impression that the quota system is not very reliable. Is that true or
is it just my incompetence (which might be very well the case)?

After I removed a quota for a specific mailbox by simply removing the quota
file in the file system and running "quota -f" afterwards (which has worked
for other mailboxes before), I got an error saying that the quota file is
missing.

Since a quota file with simply 0/0 in it didn't work, I tried to create a
new quota file with a large quota of 100 MB which worked fine.

The problem now is that incomming emails to this account haven't been
delivered properly since the moment I removed the quota file in the
beginning. When I have a look at the postfix log file, all I see is a
confirmation that the message has been successfully delivered (status=sent).
But it never shows up in the mailbox folder.

Has anyone seen this before? I would really appreciate any hint. The very
bad thing about this is that the user has maybe lost many emails because
external MTAs think that the message was delivered correctly.

Denis