unable to send emails to Yahoo

Liviu Daia Liviu.Daia at imar.ro
Fri Feb 28 01:14:21 EST 2003

On 27 February 2003, Andreas Freyvogel <afreyvogel at ecmarket.com> wrote:
> I am having a weird situation in the fact that on occasion we are
> unable to send emails to recipients at Yahoo.
>
> The error we are getting is:
>
> host mx2.mail.yahoo.com[64.156.215.6] said: 552
>     Put ,E=\r\n at the end of Mether, Mtcp, or Msmtp in sendmail.cf if you
> are
>     using Solaris 2.5 (fixed in 2.5.1). I cannot accept messages with stray
>     newlines.  Many SMTP servers will time out waiting for \r\n.\r\n.
>

> We are running on RedHat with Cyrus and Postfix. Anyone ideas from
> anyone would be greatly appreciated. The tough thing is that it does
> not happen every time.

    This has nothing to do with Cyrus.  Record a faulty SMTP
conversation with tcpdump, like this:

    tcpdump -w /file/name -s 2000 host mx2.mail.yahoo.com and port 25

then put the resulting file somewhere on the web for reference, and post
the URL, a description of your problem, relevant logs, and the output of
"postconf -n" to the Postfix list.  This is likely to be a pipelining
problem at Yahoo, but you should check with the Postfix list anyway.

    Regards,

    Liviu Daia

Dr. Liviu Daia               e-mail:   Liviu.Daia at imar.ro
Institute of Mathematics     web page: http://www.imar.ro/~daia