Case sensitve user/mailbox names

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at cox.net
Wed Feb 5 13:18:50 EST 2003

Patrick Welche wrote:
> % exim -bV
> Exim version 4.12 #4 built 30-Jan-2003 16:41:01
> Copyright (c) University of Cambridge 2002
>
> So I think Kerstin is right...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Patrick

Hmmm. I think this may have something to do with the method being used to get
the messages from Exim to Cyrus.

There are (at least) four ways to do that:

1) Exim can pipe the messages to the Cyrus "deliver" command.

2) The Exim LMTP transport can deliver to Cyrus' lmtpd over a Unix socket.

3) The Exim LMTP transport can deliver to Cyrus' "deliver" command via a pipe.

4) The Exim SMTP transport (in LMTP protocol mode) can deliver to Cyrus' lmtpd
over a TCP/IP socket, with or without SMTP authentication.

I am currently using method 4. I don't have time to test the different methods
to see how they handle caseful local parts, and there could certainly be a bug
in Exim in the LMTP transport. When I first set up Exim 4.x, I was using method
3 and most definitely had to lowercase local parts before sending them to Cyrus.