looking for Cyrus mail format documentation

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Thu Feb 6 09:58:30 EST 2003

Phil Howard wrote:

>That would result in doubling the bandwidth on the inside server connection
>since it would be dealing with the mail first coming in to the MX, then
>being replicated back out to the other server.  By delivering outside mail
>to the outside server first, the only bandwidth usage is replicating to
>the inside server (reverse the scenario for mail originating inside).

Is the cost of bandwidth to your inside server really so expensive as to
justify the expense of complicated development, hosting an offsite
server with that much bandwidth, and maintaining a remote system?  It
really sounds like you are overengineering the problem.

>If there was a way to track when the flags got changed.  I feel it's OK
>to trust the clocks on the servers, and simply decide which flag state
>prevails based on which has the later timestamp.  But I bet that metadata
>isn't in the current mailstore design.

No, the time a flag was changed isn't kept.  In fact for seen flags
which are cached in memory while a mailbox is open, only a single bit is
kept.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931