imapd's hang when maxchild count is reached

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Wed Feb 5 12:51:35 EST 2003

--On Wednesday, February 05, 2003 12:22:06 -0500 Lawrence Greenfield
<leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

>    They seem to be the same for all of the processes ...
>
> This is a totally normal backtrace for "waiting for more input from
> the client". Are you sure that your perl script is working correctly?

You are absolutely right, the script is to blame. Sorry. However, there is
one thing that's bothering me: when the max number of children has been
reached, attempts to connect lead to this:

[root at lvr1 root]# telnet cyrus 143
Trying 134.95.19.46...
Connected to cyrus.
Escape character is '^]'.

Wouldn't it be possible (and better) to refuse further connections instead
of having to wait for them to time out? Maybe I haven't thought this
through properly, but it seems to me as if that were cleaner.

Thanks, Sebastian
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK