imapd's hang when maxchild count is reached

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Feb 5 12:57:16 EST 2003

   Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 18:51:35 +0100
   From: Sebastian Hagedorn <Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de>
[...]
   Wouldn't it be possible (and better) to refuse further connections instead
   of having to wait for them to time out? Maybe I haven't thought this
   through properly, but it seems to me as if that were cleaner.

Yes, that would be desirable. The easiest way of doing this would be
to close the socket used to accept() new connections. However, it's
open in all of the children, so closing it is infeasible.

The next option would be to have master accept() and then immediately
close() the connection. This raises interesting blocking concerns and
is thus somewhat harder to implement.

Thus the current solution seems acceptable.

Larry