Cyrus 2.1 questions about realm logins !

Franz Skale franz.skale at cubit.at
Wed Feb 12 04:40:12 EST 2003

Hi !
Im worked for 3 Years with the cyrus 2.0 imapd and sasl 1.5.
Now i planned to upgrade to cyrus imapd 2.1 and sasl2.
I set up the server and made some users in the sasldb.
The users have different domains (realm) which they belong to.
Like: user1 at test.org
      user2 at some.test.org
I defined the loginrealms in the imapd.conf.

1. Problem: Login with the realm works only with imap but not with pop3,
sinve it can not handle a dot in the realm name: E.g. test at domain works
with pop3 but test at domain.com doesn't work.
Also it is not defined how the mailboxes have to be named.
I tried to define a mailbox called user.test at domain.com.
It worked.
How does the domain influence the lmtp on delivery ?
Deliveries to the mailboxes fail badly with the error message , that the
mailbox is unavailable. If you create a mailbox user.test, then it
works, but what should be the function of defining realms then ?
Pop3 doesn' t work with realmed mailboxes and can't lock it.
Imap works and can lock the mailbox.
Lmtp is not able to deliver realmed mailboxes.
Always displays the same error. (Mailbox unavailable).

So my question is: How can i use realms associated with the defined
mailboxes to seperate multiple domains on a single host ?
Or are they only  login-realms and not to deliver ?
If yes, how does lmtp decide what mailbox to use ?
It is possible to define a user in multiple realms with saslpasswd using
the -u switch.

Any help will be appreciated.

Kind regards

Franz