Advice on transition

Robert Scussel rscuss at omniti.com
Fri Feb 21 12:02:57 EST 2003

The biggest thing when upgrading this way is if you change the type of
layout that you want (ie. fullhashdir, etc.) however, since the
distribution has tools to change things around (tools/rehash), I have
found that converting the mailboxes a few times will not break anything
too severely :)

That being said, we usually transfer directories and such using rsync
over ssh. Depending on what downtime you can incur for the change out,
you may want to set up rsync server, or find another way to transfer
over the 4GB (with rsync you are looking at about 1-2 hours over the
network (with ssh, possibly faster with just an rsync daemon).  However,
once the initial transfer is done (which can be done without taking the
first server down) you can take down server 1, do an rsync to make sure
everything is good in ~5-10 min, and then bring up server2. The
important thing is to make sure that you turn off the MTA, this will
force incoming mail to get a hard bounce, and either go to the backup
mx's or try again for 24-72 hours, which means that people's mail won't
be lost while you mess with things.

I really think that trying to move and convert in one step may cause
more difficulties than it is worth, but many of the steps I mention
above will work either way. If all else fails, you can always fail back
to server1.

Hope this helps,

--
Robert Scussel
1024D/BAF70959/0036 B19E 86CE 181D 0912  5FCC 92D8 1EA1 BAF7 0959