need organizational hint

Phil Howard phil-info-cyrus at ipal.net
Fri Apr 11 20:33:11 EDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:24:03PM -0500, Amos Gouaux wrote:

| ph> Maybe he was referring just to Postfix, since I had mentioned it being the one
| ph> I would use.  Conceivably, the MTA could open the LMTP session while the SMTP
| ph> session is still active.
|
| Postfix uses different processes for various pickups and
| deliveries, so what you describe would have to be done by a
| different MTA.  If the smptd accepts the message, it is stored in
| the queue, then later the lmtp client picks it up and hands it off
| to Cyrus.
|
| ph> So in theory if the LMTP servers decided to not accept the mail
| ph> based on the filtering rules for that specific user, then it can
| ph> given a 5XX response which would be passed back on SMTP.
|
| My guess is that you won't be able to do this with Sieve.  I think
| even with Sendmail (it's been a while for me) it's going to queue
| the message before initiating the LMTP connection you describe.

Looks like I'll have to take a look at doing some sort of direct method
of SMTP-to-Cyrus.  One option is an SMTP-to-LMTP front-end daemon that
would include some filtering (perhaps just whatever Sieve doesn't do).
The other would be modifying Cyrus to actually include SMTP capability.
That would depend on how simply the LMTP daemon part is, either in how
succintly it deals with mail storing details, or how well it encapsulates
so those details are immaterial.  I won't know until I get the time to
study the source code more fully.

I take it no one else has any spam filtering going on that is both based
on SMTP envelope, and is customized per user.