need organizational hint

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sat Apr 12 09:49:47 EDT 2003

Phil Howard wrote:

> Looks like I'll have to take a look at doing some sort of direct method
> of SMTP-to-Cyrus.  One option is an SMTP-to-LMTP front-end daemon that
> would include some filtering (perhaps just whatever Sieve doesn't do).
> The other would be modifying Cyrus to actually include SMTP capability.
> That would depend on how simply the LMTP daemon part is, either in how
> succintly it deals with mail storing details, or how well it encapsulates
> so those details are immaterial.  I won't know until I get the time to
> study the source code more fully.

LMTP and [E]SMTP are indentical except for the hello commands, so making
lmtpd handle [E]SMTP is trivial, but I don't see the point.  Cyrus is
not designed to be an MTA, and I don't think you want to spend the time
doing so.

> I take it no one else has any spam filtering going on that is both based
> on SMTP envelope, and is customized per user.

Sieve does get the envelope, but it has no facilities for checking IP.
You might want to consider having your MTA do this type of SPAM checking
globally and adding an X-SPAM header which can then be filtered by
individual users via Sieve.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127