Long Lived imapd processes

Scott M. Likens damm at infinitevoid.net
Tue Apr 15 17:22:00 EDT 2003

This is where you as the systems administrator take the bull by the horn and
tell them they can't do this.

That or you can modify Cyrus so that it'll drop a connection after 5 noop's,
but that doesn't mean that user just won't reconnect and keep doing it.

Cyrus as a software package cannot and should not modify it's base for 1-2
users.  Because you have abusive users towards your system, you should not
hold it against us.

It's that simple,

You want to fix it, restart the server yell at the user.  Simple enough?

---

The word bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being
carried out. - George Carlin

Rob Siemborski wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Earl R Shannon wrote:
>

>>The processes are using resources on a resource limited machine. We are
>>looking at all the ways we can reduce the load on the machine. Having a
>>client connected for a month and not reading mail is not productive for
>>anybody.
>

> An imapd process that isn't doing anything other than answering a NOOP
> once every few minutes isn't costing you many resources (some minimal
> amount of swap space, maybe).

You are assuming that these old processes are only answering NOOPs. What
if they are checking every folder for mail every 5 minutes? every
minute? every 30 seconds? (yes, I've seen that).

So now if we assume that a process is costing me resources that I wish
to recover, what is the right way to terminate it?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom Karches                    email : twk at ncsu.edu
Web Systems Administrator      phone : 919.515.5508
NCSU Information Technology