quotawarn IMAP response status

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Mon Apr 21 11:20:21 EDT 2003

Scott Russell wrote:

>Hmm, silence :) Did I ask a stupid question or touch upon an old debate?
>Or is this one of those things that could go either way and is open for
>interpretation?

We were probably all waiting for someone more knowlegable to answer.

>>Looking at rfc2060 section 7.1.1 it says that:
>>
>>  The OK response indicates an information message from the server.
>>  When tagged, it indicates successful completion of the associated
>>  command.

Notice "when tagged" --- to me that means the B00007 OK response is the
only one that indicates the success or failure of the SELECT command.
 The untagged no response is other information that may be useful to the
client but doesn't directly indicate anything about the result of the
SELECT command.

See section 7.1.2 -- "the untagged form indicates a warning; the command
can still complete successfully".

>>The following section of a protocol trace shows Cyrus sending "* NO
>>[ALERT]" for what appears to be a "successful completion of the
>>associated command".
>>
>>  <1050718642<B00006 LIST "" INBOX
>>  >1050718642>* LIST (\Noinferiors) "." "INBOX"
>>  B00006 OK Completed (0.000 secs 2 calls)
>>  <1050718642<B00007 SELECT INBOX
>>  >1050718642>* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen)
>>  * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen \*)]
>>  * 16 EXISTS
>>  * 0 RECENT
>>  * OK [UNSEEN 2]
>>  * OK [UIDVALIDITY 1050717092]
>>  * OK [UIDNEXT 18]
>>  * NO [ALERT] Mailbox is at 96% of quota
>>  B00007 OK [READ-WRITE] Completed
>>  <1050718642<B00008 FETCH 16 UID
>>  >1050718642>* 16 FETCH (UID 17)
>>  B00008 OK Completed
>>
>>Shouldn't the quotawarn, and even over quota ALERT response codes be
>>using an OK status response unless the command actually fails?

I think that answer is no -- an untagged OK is information only, where a
message indicating proximity to a quota limit does indeed seem to be a
warning and warrants and untagged NO.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931