performance of imap_open: is 5-15 secs normal?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Apr 23 16:43:06 EDT 2003

Bill McCoy wrote:

> Thanks for the ideas. Re: lack of entropy & /dev/random: I followed the
> advice in the "Cyrus SASL for System Administrators" docfile with the SASL
> distribution and updated cyrus-sasl on my system to 2.1.13, rebuilding from
> the source tarball with DEV_RANDOM changed to "/dev/urandom" in config.h. It
> took some futzing around to get rid of the 2.1.10 RPM and get saslauthd
> going etc. but it is working now, but unfortunately exhibiting the same
> behavior: 4.5 secs to imap_open from a Windows box, 15 secs via localhost.
> Testsaslauthd succeeds and returns instantly which also doesn't seem like it
> would happen if entropy was the issue. Finally, telneting in and doing a ".
> LOGIN user pwd" by hand succeeds instantly from the remote box and
> localhost. If anyone can shed further light on this I'd appreciate it.
> Meantime I guess I have to start doing some connection spying & tracing...
> Sigh.

If a telnet and auth by hand succeeds, then your problem is most likely
PHP/c-client.

Which part of the connection are you saying is slow?  The initial
response from the server, or the authentication?

In the future, you can test connect/auth from localhost a lot easier by
using the imtest/pop3test tools that come with Cyrus.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127