Problems with Sieve

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Mon Apr 28 15:26:53 EDT 2003

Peter Burggraef wrote:

>>What version of db are you running?  On Solaris 9, I had similar
>>problems (open returning ENOSPC) after a few weeks of uptime with db
>>4.1.24/25, which went away after downgrading to 4.0.14.
>>

>How can I find out the version?

I don't use Debian, so I can't tell you how to find out the version of
packages there.

>What can I do, if I don't want to downgrade?

Wait for someone to fix the code or fix it yourself -- I haven't dug
into the db code, but since it breaks after running for a while and an
older version doesn' t have the same problem, it looks like some change
between those versions introduced some sort of resource leak.

>>Your duplicate delivery database is corrupted.  If it is unavailable for
>>whatever reason, sieve can't process any messages.  You need to recover
>>your duplicate delivery database, or just delete it and recreate it
>>since it doesn't hold anything that will cause a lot of pain if it is
>>lost (your users may see duplicate copies of messages from mailing lists
>>that are still in flight).
>>

>I think that happend, when I restarted the service. Is that true?

In my case, stopping and restarting usually fixed the problem.  I had
assumed your logs were from initially starting the service, so I
expected that meant the files themselves were trashed (which also
happened to me a couple of times) and needed to be rebuilt or recovered
from tape.  After looking back at your logs, I see those errors were
during message delivery, so if restarting clears up your problem than
you should be fine other than having to periodically restart the server
to avoid the problem (and of course the loss of filtering until you do).

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931