Trying to make sieve work

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Sep 3 19:36:27 EDT 2002

Quoting "Charrick, Gordon" <gordon.charrick at tfn.com>:

> I've had cyrus-imap working for a few months and I'm trying to get filters
> to work on the server. I'm running Redhat 7.3 by the way.
>
> I have the following in /etc/cyrus.conf
>
> SERVICES {
>   imap          cmd="/usr/cyrus/bin/imapd" listen="imap" prefork=0
>   sieve         cmd="/usr/cyrus/bin/timsieved" listen="sieve" prefork=0
>   lmtpunix      cmd="/usr/cyrus/bin/lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp"
> prefork=0
> }
>
> and it's listening on port 2000. However, when I use sieveshell to try
> anything I get the following:
>
> [gmc at gmc text]$ sieveshell localhost
> connecting to localhost
> Please enter your password: xxxxxxxx
> unable to connect to server: Authentication error at /usr/bin/sieveshell
> line 149, <STDIN> line 1.
>
> The username and password work connecting to the imap server. I have tried
> using the -u option to specify the user and get the same results. I'm
> hoping
> it's something simple and someone will have a quick answer and I don't have
> to go hunting through the perl code to see what's wrong.

Try specifying both -u and -a with the same userid.  If that doesn't work, and
you are running 2.1.5 or later, try

sivtest -a <userid> -u <userid> localhost

and see what (if any SASL mechs are listed).  If you are running 2.1.4 or
earlier, simply telnet to the sieve port and check the mechs.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127